General Requirements for Hong Kong Dog Immigration:
- All animals must be transported to Hong Kong via the fastest and most direct route from the country/region of origin. Animals must be transported as air cargo and are not allowed to be transported as checked or carry-on baggage (pet check-in to Hong Kong).
- Animals must be transported in accordance with the current live animal regulations of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) (with tags).
- Pregnant cats and dogs of 4 weeks or more are not allowed to be imported.
- Pets must be implanted with a microchip that meets the requirements of the Hong Kong government.
- Vaccination records must comply with the requirements of the Hong Kong government.
- Pets from Group 1 and Group 2 countries do not require quarantine, while pets from Group 3 countries require 120 days of quarantine. The application for quarantine center placement takes about one year.
All pets entering Hong Kong will be classified into Group 1, Group 2, or Group 3, and each group has different entry requirements.
When a pet owner plans to move to Hong Kong, they will certainly bring their pet along. However, the process of moving dog to Hong Kong is complex. PET TRAVEL, a pet immigration company, can assist you in handling the pet immigration process and make it easier for you to bring dog to Hong Kong.
As a non-rabies epidemic area, requirements for dogs entering Hong Kong are stricter. PET TRAVEL will introduce the latest regulations for dog entry into Hong Kong and provide a detailed guide to the procedures for bringing dog to Hong Kong.
Hong Kong dog import – Which country/region is your pet from?
The most important step is to determine which country or region your beloved pet is from. This will determine whether your pet needs to undergo quarantine, as the entry quarantine requirements vary for pets from different regions. The Hong Kong government categorizes the source of animal imports into three groups.
Group 1 countries (pets can enter at 2 months old): Australia, Fiji, Hawaii, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the Jersey Administrative Region. If your dog is from one of the Group 1 countries, as long as you strictly comply with all terms of the Hong Kong pet import permit, administer vaccinations to your pet, and implant a microchip, there is no need for entry quarantine. You can smoothly bring your dog back to Hong Kong.
Group 2 countries (pets can enter at 5 months old): Austria, Bahrain, Bermuda, Canada, Cyprus, Finland, Germany, Guam, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Vanuatu, the Bahamas, Belgium, Brunei, Cayman Islands, Denmark, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Jamaica, Maldives, Mauritius, New Caledonia, Portugal, South Korea, Singapore, Sweden, the Netherlands, the United States (mainland), and the Virgin Islands. If your dog is from one of the Group 2 countries, as long as you strictly comply with all terms of the Hong Kong import permit, administer vaccinations (including rabies vaccine) to your pet, and implant a microchip, there is no quarantine required for entering Hong Kong.
Group 3 countries (all countries/regions not included in Group 1 and Group 2): Popular Group 3 immigration countries include mainland China, Macau, Dubai, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Indonesia. For dogs from Group 3 countries, it must undergo 120 days of quarantine upon entry to Hong Kong. The cost of import dog quarantine Hong Kong is HK$90.00 per dog per day (totaling HK$10,800).
Note: Currently, the facilities available for pet quarantine in Hong Kong are very limited, and even with advanced booking, it is expected to wait for 12 months to secure a place at the Hong Kong dog quarantine facility.
Important Notes when planning to import dog to Hong Kong
- Vaccination Records: Animals entering Hong Kong must have vaccination records that comply with the requirements of the Hong Kong government.
- Microchip Implantation: All pets being transported to Hong Kong must be implanted with a microchip that meets the requirements of the Hong Kong government.
- Hong Kong Animal Health Certificate: The certificate must contain information that covers the requirements stated in the import permit terms.
- Dog License: If the dog needs to stay in Hong Kong for an extended period, a dog license must be obtained. (This is not required for cats.)
- Import Permit Required: It is necessary to obtain a special permit issued by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) to import dog to Hong Kong . The special permit issued by the AFCD needs to be submitted in person in Hong Kong. If assistance is needed, please contact PET TRAVEL.
- Moving dog to Hong Kong in cargo. Dogs are not allowed in the cabin or treated as special baggage during their entry to Hong Kong.
- Prohibited Dog Breeds: The following breeds are prohibited from entering Hong Kong: Tosa Inu (Japanese Tosa), American Pit Bull Terrier, Brazilian Fila, and Dogo Argentino (including any crossbreeds of these four breeds).
PET TRAVEL – Your Pet Travel Specialist
PET TRAVEL is a professional pet immigration company. As mentioned earlier, the regulations for dog import Hong Kong are strict, and the procedures for dog immigration can be complex and time-consuming. If you want to bring your dog to Hong Kong with ease, you need the assistance of a pet immigration company, and PET TRAVEL is your best choice. We can help you with all the challenging aspects of taking dog to Hong Kong.
PET TRAVEL is a trusted pet immigration company, and our team of professional consultants will handle all aspects of your pet’s immigration process. We can assist you with the following services:
- Determine the best way for you and your beloved pet to immigrate to Hong Kong.
- Provide IATA-approved pet crates to ensure the safety of your pet during transportation.
- Arrange pick-up and drop-off of your pet from your designated location.
- Handle all the necessary procedures for international pet travel and pet immigration on your behalf.
- Arrange and process all the required documents for your pet’s departure and arrival.
- Plan the best immigration route for your pet, book the appropriate airlines, and handle the pet transportation procedures.
- Reserve rest stops at major airports, if permitted.
- Assist with customs clearance procedures at your destination.
With PET TRAVEL’s professional assistance, you can navigate the complexities of dog immigration to Hong Kong with peace of mind.
We are a local pet immigration company based in Hong Kong, with extensive experience and knowledge of the pet immigration regulations in Hong Kong. We have helped numerous pet owners travel to Hong Kong with dog and have received positive feedback, establishing a strong reputation. We maintain good relationships with renowned veterinary hospitals and various government departments, enabling us to efficiently handle the procedures for dog immigration and ensure the safety of pets. Our team of pet immigration experts at Pet Travel not only assists with arranging Hong Kong dog import but also takes care of your pets throughout the entire process. We provide regular updates on your pet’s well-being, giving you peace of mind when entrusting your beloved companion to us.
We will do our utmost to help you travel to Hong Kong with dog.
transparent pricing with no hidden costs. We will provide a clear breakdown of all the charges associated with Hong Kong dog travel.
If you are interested in using our services to import dog to Hong Kong, you can fill out our Hong Kong Dog Immigration quotation request form. Please provide us with relevant information about your pet’s travel, allowing us to assist in creating a personalized pet relocation plan for you. If you have further inquiries or questions, you may submit your information to us (Contact Us) or directly reach out to our professional consultants via WhatsApp at +852 6358 3131 for more details.